Kindergarten News for Summer
Preparing for First Grade over the summer…
- It is important to listen to your child read aloud, as well as read aloud to them, everyday. For a least 20 minutes. Try a summer reading program at the nearest public library.
- Review sight words, weekly-more often if needed.
- Practice decoding words, and have your child identify the beginning, middle and ending sounds of words.
- Practice handwriting - emphasize legibility and correct letter formation.
- Review numbers 1 – 120.
- Practice addition and subtraction facts to 10.
- Be sure that the Kindergarten prayers are memorized.
- Work with your child to become organized and responsible.
- Keep in mind that First grade is a change from Kindergarten. First grade moves faster and adds many more new skills.
Have a safe and fun filled summer!